Winter Storms - Are You Ready?
We admit it: As insurance pros, our picture of winter isn’t exactly cozy in Lincolnshire. Winter storms mean traffic snarls, hillsides turning to sheets of ice, and cars sliding around like hockey pucks. Cold temperatures can cause pipes to burst, frost swells and other damage. Heating your home with fireplaces and holiday lighting can increase the risk of fire.
A picture-perfect winter requires a few precautions
When winter storms hit, be smart
- Winter-proof your car with good snow tires or chains, new wiper blades, antifreeze, and emergency road supplies.
- Keep your attic cool to help prevent ice dams. Insulate the attic floor and make sure it is well-ventilated.
- Do not overload circuits with holiday decorations.
- Learn how to shut off water valves in case a pipe bursts.
- Have heating and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year.
- If you do not have to drive, stay put. If you must drive, make sure you’ve winterized your car and have a full tank of gas.
- When the air is cold, keep bath and kitchen cabinet doors open so warm air can circulate around pipes. If pipes do freeze, let them thaw normally—they’ll be less likely to burst.
- If the power is out, make sure you avoid leaving candles or fires burning unattended. If you use a portable generator, follow the instructions and do not use it indoors.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow, overexertion can bring on a heart attack.
- If the pipes freeze, remove any insulation or layers of newspapers and wrap pipes in rags. Completely open all faucets and pour hot water over pipes, start where they were most exposed to the cold.
Know what your insurance covers
We want to help you rest easy. You will be more relaxed when you know you have prepared your property to lessen the chance of winter storm damage. Check your policy to see what is covered and to confirm the deductible you have chosen.
If you have any questions at all about your coverage, call us at (847) 680-0888 or email us at email@example.com and we will help you review your options.
Content Source: Safeco Insurance and www.iii.org
Illinois and Wisconsin residents, at R Hobbs Insurance Agency, we can work with you to make sure you've got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at (847) 680-0888 or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what's important to you is protected!